Thursday, August 30, 2007

Tired now.
My schedule is really kind of insane. I'm only taking two classes, but I teach four one day a week, two hour labs. My office hours, which I'm required to have, are all at gods' still havin' coffee in the morning because that's the only time I've got, really. Then I've got to find time to collect 50 or so species of trees (fortunately, they're relatively easy to catch compared to insects). Then there's the reading I've got to do and I've got to figure out this semester what my graduate project is to be.
I finally tracked down the butterfly guy and talked to him this afternoon and we had a little chat. So, this is progress.
This is not to mention household duties and other obligations.
Big deep breath... (inhales)
and out again - whoo!

I have discovered that many very smart PhD types exhibit varying degrees of confusion and awe when confronted with the fabric arts. "I could never do anything like that!" says a guy that can identify a species by common name, latin name, and what it's mamma calls it. "Wow, that's really hard!" says a guy that can amplify, chop up, and analyze DNA. Neither of these direct quotes, mind you, but it is interesting to see how scientists react when confronted with something completely out of their range of knowledge.
I'm not sure what kind of perspective this puts things into, but it's a different one.

No comments: